The Bank of Tanzania (BoT) Governor Prof. Florens Luoga has been named among 15 best performing central bank governors in Africa 2022 clinching the 11th position.
This is according to the Central Banker Report Cards, published annually by Global Finance since 1994, grade the central bank governors of 101 key countries and territories, including the European Union, the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank, the Bank of Central African States, and the Central Bank of West African States.
According to the report, the Governor of the South African Reserve Bank, Lesetja Kganyago has the best rating (A-) of all his African counterparts.
In the 2022 report, only three central bankers in Africa made the top 20 global list: Lesetja Kganyago, Governor of the South African Reserve Bank; Harvesh Kumar Seegolam, Governor of the Bank of Mauritius; Abdellatif Jouahri, Governor of the Central Bank of Morocco.
Nigeria’s central bank governor missed out from the list of top 15 central bankers in Africa and was given a “C-” grade by the magazine, which ranks him lower than African peers from such countries as Kenya (B), Rwanda (B+), Ghana (B-), Tanzania (B-) and Zambia (C+).
Grades in the ranking are based on a scale of “A” to “F” for success in areas such as inflation control, economic growth goals, currency stability, and interest rate management.
Here are the 15 best-performing central bank governors in Africa in 2022
- Lesetja Kganyago – Governor of the South African Reserve Bank (A)
- Harvesh Kumar Seegolam – Governor of the Bank of Mauritius (A-)
- Abdellatif Jouahri – Governor of the Central Bank of Morocco (A-)
- John Rwangombwa – Governor, National Bank of Rwanda (B+)
- Jose De Lima Massano – Governor Banco Nacional de Angola (B)
- Abbas Mahamat Tolli – Governor of the Bank of Central African States (B)
- Moses Pelaelo – Governor of the Bank of Botswana (B)
- Patrick Njoroge – Governor of the Central Bank of Kenya (B)
- Buah Saidy – Governor of the Central Bank of The Gambia (B-)
- Ernest Addison – Governor of the Bank of Ghana (B-)
- Florens Luoga – Governor of the Bank of Tanzania (B-)
- Denny Kalyalya – Governor of Bank of Zambia (C+)
- Rogério Lucas Zandamela – Governor of Central Bank of Mozambique (C+)
- Marouane El Abbassi – Governor Central Bank of Tunisia (C)
- Johannes Gawaxab – Governor of the Bank of Namibia (C)