Tanzania’s population has hit 61.7 million according to the 2022 Population and Housing Census preliminary results released by President Samia Suluhu Hassan in Dodoma today.
This means the country’s population has increased by 19.8 million in the last 10 years according to the latest figures.
Tanzania held its first digital census in August this year that among other things conduct a buildings count and national physical addressing, using digital software and equipment. Geospatial technologies were utilized to generate census field maps, and collect and digitize census information.
Speaking during the launch of the preliminary results in Dodoma today, President Samia said the country’s population has grown from 44.9 million recorded in 2012 to 61.7 million this year being a 3.2 percentage increase.
Samia noted that the biggest per centage of Tanzania’ population are women (31.68 million) accounting for 51 per cent of the population while men account for the remaining 49 per cent (30.5 million).
She noted that population in Tanzania mainland had increased from 43.6 million in 2012 to 59.8 million in 2022 while Zanzibar’s population has similarly increased from 1.3 million in 2012 to 1.88 million this year.
“Results show that Dar es Salaam region has 5.33 million people accounting for 8 per cent of the population making it the densely populated region in,” she noted.
Figures indicate that Mwanza region has population of 3.69 million people accounting for 6 per cent of the country’s population.
Samia noted that 2022 Population and Housing Census preliminary results also indicated that Tanzania had a total of 14.3 buildings with Tanzania mainland having 13.9 buildings while Zanzibar has 440,421 buildings.
“I urge everyone to use these for intended purposes and not otherwise,” she paused
Meanwhile the Government has prepared a national policy guideline that will ensure effective use of the 2022 Population and Housing Census report.
Speaking during the launch of the policy guideline, Samia said, “This is the first of its kind since independence and probably the first in the Sub-Saharan region,”
Earlier, the Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa noted that 2022 Population and Housing Census was successful by 99.9 per cent.